- This article has a collection of images to further represent its content. To see its gallery, visit Kōzō Fuyutsuki (Rebuild)/Gallery.
|“||I prefer a world where people live, no matter how tainted with sin it is.||”|
Kozo Fuyutsuki (冬月コウゾウ, "Fuyutsuki Kōzō") is a fictional character from the Rebuild of Evangelion movie series. He is second-in-command of NERV HQ and Gendo Ikari's right hand man. As Deputy Commander of NERV, Fuyutsuki frequently takes command of situations at the base whenever Gendo is away on business.
Kōzō Fuyutsuki is probably the oldest figure in NERV. He is a tall man with a long face and hollow cheeks. His gray hair gives his already advanced age, but in the past he had brown hair. Other signs of his age, the wrinkles appearing on her face. Since joining NERV, Kōzō usually wears his Vice Commander uniform, a brown jacket closed, with a rigid stand-up collar, and decorated with a dark gray triangle with NERV written in green. He wears with matching pants and black shoes.
After the 14 years since the Near Third Impact, his appearance is of a even more older man, still wearing the same attire, but with less hair with more protuberant receding hairlines and sharper wrinkles in his face. His eyebrows also change the shape, now being more bushy in the external end.
Fuyutsuki's personality is similar to that of the TV series, but is less prominent. In the Rebuild movie series, Fuyutsuki is rarely seen interacting with the Evangelion pilots like he does in Neon Genesis Evangelion, however, he is often seen beside his boss: Gendo Ikari, commenting or questioning about Gendo's intentions or actions. Fuyutsuki in the Rebuild continuity is also keen of Shogi, a japanese strategy game. He invites Shinji for a game of shogi and uses it as a chance to tell him about the fate of his mother and her association with Unit-01.
In the first two films of Rebuild, Fuyutsuki has a similar role to the one in the original series, remaining in the shadow of Gendo and simply commenting on the interactions of the latter with SEELE, Misato, or Shinji. He alongside Gendo Ikari, goes to the Tabgha Base wearing the Type OMM7L NERV Extravehicular Mobility Unity, in this mission, they observe the refitting of one of the Adams into the Evangelion Mark.06.
In Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo Fuyutsuki first appears to discuss with Gendo about SEELE's silence, telling him that he'll go along with his plans for Yui's sake. He tells Gendo about Kaworu showing Shinji the outside and his actions, questioning Gendo about how he won't allow his son to know anything about him.
He comes into direct contact with Shinji, where they both play shogi and he's shown to be an experienced player. He shows a picture of Yui to Shinji, explaining what happened to her, the origins of Rei, and imparted a bit of the truth about his father. His words at the end suggest that revealing the truth about Yui and Rei was part of Gendo's plans.
- "Fuyutsuki" literally means "Winter Moon", and was the name of a Akitsuki-class destroyer of the Japanese Imperial Navy from World War II. The Destroyer Fuyutsuki rescued the survivors of the Japanese battleship Yamato after it was sunk by American aircraft in Japanese's Operation Ten-go.
- Fuyutsuki's rank has been alternatively translated as "Vice Commander", "Deputy Commander", or "Sub-Commander", etc. The original Japanese word is fuku (as in fukushirei), and all of these alternate translations mean pretty much the same thing. Evapedia consistently uses "Vice Commander" for convenience.
- In the Evangelion You Are (Not) Alone - Complete Records Collection, his name is romanized as Kouzo Fuyutsuki.
- In the Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo Commentary Booklet, his name is romanized as Kohzo Fuyutsuki.