A wide array of weapons are used by Evangelion units throughout the course of the different continuities they appear. Although designed to help the Evangelions in their fights against the Angels, these standard weapons have generally unpredictable results, as they are merely Evangelion-sized versions of standard human weapons (most of whom have little effect other than making the target mad).
- 1 Neon Genesis Evangelion/The End of Evangelion continuity
- 2 Rebuild of Evangelion continuity
- 2.1 Melee Weapons
- 2.2 Ranged Weapons
- 2.2.1 EM-226 Evangelion Portable Revolving Multi-Barrel Machine Gun
- 2.2.2 Type MM-99 209mm AU Assault Rifle
- 2.2.3 2nd Experimental High Power Self-Propelled 460mm Positron Cannon
- 2.2.4 MM-144 Evangelion Custom Super-Electromagnetic Crossbow
- 2.2.5 Sniper Rifle
- 2.2.6 Pistol
- 2.2.7 Jetpack
- 2.3 Others
- 3 In Other Media
- 4 Neon Genesis Evangelion: ANIMA continuity
- 5 Notes
Neon Genesis Evangelion/The End of Evangelion continuity
Close combat Weapons
(プログレッシブ・ナイフ). A combat knife contained inside the left shoulder pylon of an Evangelion who uses it, and is one of the Evas' basic weapons. The blade of the knife vibrates at an extremely high frequency, increasing its cutting sharpness to the point that it can cut through the target at a molecular level. It is strong enough to pierce an Angel's core with little trouble. Unit-02 has two progressive knives.
- Unit-01's Progressive Knife is in the form of a simple Bowie knife.
- Unit-02's Progressive Knife is a more advanced version, which is in the form identical to that of a utility knife: if the current blade is damaged or broken off, a new one will extend from the handle to take its place. In the main series it seems to be automatic while in End of Evangelion Unit-02 seems to use its thumb to push out the new blade.
- Unit-00, in its initial form, had no pylons and possibly lacked a knife. However, it was provided with one during its reconstruction, and its knife was seen only once, for a short moment in Episode 12; Unit-00' 's Prog Knife resembles Unit-01's.
No other Evangelions other than Unit-00', Unit-01, and Unit-02 are ever seen using Progressive Knives (in non-canon materials, including video games or model kits, Unit-03 and Unit-04 are seen utilizing the same Progressive Knife as Unit-01).
(ソニック・グレイブ). A spear-like weapon used to slice Israfel in half in Episode 09. It also appears in Episode 19, but isn't used. In real life, a glaive is a spear shaft containing a knife at the end rather than a spearhead. This may mean it's based on the same engineering as a Progressive Knife, but with an extended range.
(スマッシュホーク). An axe-like weapon, being able to be held with either one or two hands. Unit-02 sortied with it in Episode 16, but doesn't use it in combat against an Angel. Also maybe based on the Progressive Knife engineering, utilizing sonic vibrations to strengthen the sharpness of the blade with it being of a shorter length than the "Sonic Glaive" spear, but containing a wider blade for greater damage.
(パレットガン). Sometimes alternatively called Pallet Gun, it is the standard-issue rifle used by Evangelion units. It resembles a Steyr ACR. This giant automatic rifle is proportionately sized to match the Evangelions, so it can wield the rifle just as a human would use a conventional assault rifle. The Pallet Gun is seen in Episodes:
- 03: Unit-01 against Shamshel; ineffective.
- 09: Unit-01 against Israfel (ineffective), then as part of synchronized attack.
- 11: Unit-01 against Matarael; mortal blow.
- 18: Unit-00 and Unit-01 both sortied with; used by neither
- 19: Unit-02 against Zeruel, dual-wielded; ineffective.
- 23: Unit-01 sortied with; not used.
It is unknown why this weapon is referred as a "Pallet" Gun. Bonus materials and production notes don't explain the naming either, but do refer to it directly as such.
(ハンドガン). Resembles a Desert Eagle Mark XIX. Used by Unit-01 against Leliel in Episode 16 but it is ineffective.
(スナイパーライフル). Unit-00's weapon of choice, modeled on the Accuracy International Arctic Warfare Magnum.
- 16: Unit-00 against Leliel; doesn't contact.
- 23: Unit-00 against Armisael; ineffective.
- 18: Unit-02 sortied with; not used.
- 19: Unit-02 against Zeruel, dual-wielded; ineffective.
(ポジトロンライフル). The Positron Rifle (Prototype 20 with Toroidal Accelerator) is a shoulder-mounted (the shoulder pylon of the equipped arm is extracted). Can fire rounds into low Earth-orbit, though the power of the shots lowers to being ineffective from a long range. Not a very mobile weapon either since it requires an external power cable to power its function. It still uses a finite amount of ammunition, about 8 rounds.
- 06: Seen but not used.
- 09: Unit-02 against Israfel; limited effect or ineffective.
- 22: Unit-02 against Arael; doesn't contact. (Design is slightly altered in this episode)
Positron Sniper Rifle
A prototype, originally requisitioned from the JSSDF's R&D labs, where it was known as the SDF's Automated Positron Rifle.
- 06: Unit-01 against Ramiel; mortal blow.
An upgraded, modified, or Eva-specific version of the weapon is used against Ramiel.
- 22: Unit-00 against Arael; ineffective due to range and power limitations.
Rebuild of Evangelion continuity
PKN-01C Progressive Knife
Appears in Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone, used by Unit-01. Unlike its television version, this close-in melee weapon has a slightly-altered blade shape, but similar to a jackknife, the weapon can be creased and stored into the left shoulder pylon.
GB-012 Evangelion Custom Electrical Discharge Portable Ordinance "Thunder Spear"
Appears in Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance. It is used by Mari in Unit-02 when she confronts the Tenth Angel. It resembles a rifle with a blade instead of a barrel. It was designed by Ikuto Yamashita.
Appears in Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, used by Unit-02'γ against Evangelion 13. It can separate into two swords. It slices through Evangelion 13's RS Hoppers with little effort but is unable to harm the Evangelion itself.
EM-226 Evangelion Portable Revolving Multi-Barrel Machine Gun
Gatling Gun (ガトリングガン): Appears in Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone. A massive Gatling gun, utilized by Unit-01 against Fifth Angel. When fired, this weapon drops a enormous amount of shell casings that crushed several vehicles on the ground. However, it deals no visible damage to the Angel.
- Official Designation: EM-226 Evangelion Portable Revolving Multi-Barrel Machine Gun or EM-226 440mm Gatling Gun
- Caliber: 440mm
Type MM-99 209mm AU Assault Rifle
First appears in Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone. Essentially the same weapon as the Pallet Rifle, it is brought up for use against Fifth Angel but not taken. Wielded again by Unit-01 against the Ninth Angel in Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance, but not used. Finally, Unit-02 uses two of these rifles against the Tenth Angel, successfully in breaking some of the Angel's A.T. Field layers.
- Official Designation: Type MM-99 Evangelion Large Caliber Rifle / AU Assault Rifle  or Type MM-99 209mm AU Assault Rifle
- Caliber: 209mm
2nd Experimental High Power Self-Propelled 460mm Positron Cannon
Weapon mounted in a treaded machinery, it is used against the Sixth Angel. This weapon uses Japan's whole electricity supply as its power source. A larger version of it is installed as a part of Evangelion Mark.4444C, with power supplied by multiple Mark 44Bs. .
MM-144 Evangelion Custom Super-Electromagnetic Crossbow
As originally conceived, the weapon would use the Evangelions's A.T. Field to launch its projectiles. However, it was altered to electromagnetic propulsion during Evangelion 2.0's post-production.
- Official Designation: MM-144 Evangelion Custom Super-Electromagnetic Crossbow
- German Designation: Überelektromagnetische Armbrust MM-144
Appears in Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, used by Unit-08 (both in α and β configuration). It can either be loaded with regular or special Anti-A.T. Field ammunition, special bullets that can break through any A.T. Field but this can't harm Evangelion 13 since it lacks one. Bullets don't deal any visible damage to both Mark.09 and Evangelion 13.
Appears in Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, used by Unit-08β. It is basically a Evangelion-sized highly ineffective handgun that only does collateral damage, but is still able to destroy Mark.09's head.
Wielded by Mark.09. Its size is longer than two Evangelions. When not used, it can be unmerged into four 'tentacles'. Mark.09 wields this bizarre jetpack to escape from the AAA Wunder after retrieving Shinji.
Enchanted Shield of Virtue
Wielded by Evangelion Unit-00 during Operation Yashima, is used to protect Unit-01 against the Sixth Angel. It would reappear later in Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time. used in the hulls of multiple ships as another layer of protection against Evangelion Mark.4444C. Unlike the TV Series counterpart, that was a specially converted "shield" made from the heat shield on the underside of an SSTO spacecraft. The design of this shield is more shield like, with 4 handles around the interior, a pylon near the ground and a little window that can slide in and out for maximum protection. The logo is written in two laterals and in the interior part near the pylon. It was designed by Ikuto Yamashita.
In Other Media
Magoroku Exterminate Sword
Sometimes shorten as "Magoroku-E Sword" or "Magorox". Designed for the show by Ikuto Yamashita, but never used (it is in some production art and included with some models, though). It is a long sword for Unit-01's use. A dedicated scabbard for the Magorox can be attached to the left shoulder pylon of Unit-01 for storage. The shape of the blade resembles a katana.
Designed by Ikuto Yamashita, appearing in production artworks and included with some models. It is essentially a shortened version of the Magorox designed mainly, true to its name, for defensive purpose. As for the Magorox, a dedicated scabbard for the Counter Sword can be attached to Unit-01's left shoulder pylon for storage.
(大型破砕兵器デュアルソー). Designed by Ikuto Yamashita for Neon Genesis Evangelion 2. Appears in the manga. It is used by Kaworu in Unit-02 against Armisael. The Dual Saw is exactly what it's title states: a chainsaw with two blades placed beside each other. According to its description, this weapon is so big that "cutting" isn't the proper term to describe its action but "shredding" would be more fitting.
A javelin-like weapon that has appeared in multiple official illustrations, but no other related media.
(全領域兵器マステマ). First appearing in the Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 game and then appearing in Neon Genesis Evangelion: ANIMA, the All-range Weapon Mastema is a very unique weapon in that it covers all the ranges possible. Named after the fallen angel, it can be used as a N² Missile launcher, a gun or a blade. Even though it's a large weapon, it is surprisingly light, making it much deadly.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: ANIMA continuity
Magorox Exterminate Sword B-Stage
While the first Magorox was just a metal sword, the B-Stage Magorox's blade is infused with A.T. Field, making it able to penetrate enemies' A.T. Field.
Counter Sword Stage 2
Developed at the same time as the Magoroku Exterminate Sword Stage 2, the Counter Sword Stage 2 is exactly what its name suggets : a enhanced version of the regular Counter Sword. It is A.T. Field-enhanced.
SRM-61A Field Penetrator A.K.A Kesara
One of a pair of Field Penetrator swords. Generates a special A.T. Field that can be tuned to penetrate a target's Field. Like the Vertex wings, the sword utilizes experimental field-induction elements. The arrangement of those elements affects the sword's field pattern. The sword is stored in a pylon capable of "baking in" specific arrangements. The shape of the sword slightly differs from that of its twin, the SRM-62b (Basara).
Weapon utilized by Super Evangelion.
New Type Pallet Rifle "Powered 8"
The old Pallet rifle was inefficient against the Angels, as its bullet movement energy was only 60 megajoules. This new Pallet Rifle, the "Powered 8", is updated with railgun-based technology to be more efficient. Researches are made to develop a long barrel type Pallet Rifle which would shoot A.T. Field to penetrate enemies' A.T. Field.
KEG-46R Yamato Rebuild
A stand-alone cannon with high-explosive ammunition. The barrel had once belonged to the Yamato warship, but now it is like a pistol in the hands of Super Evangelion.
- See also: Neon Genesis Evangelion and Rebuild of Evangelion at the Internet Movie Firearms Database.
- The concept of a bladed weapon being vibrated at ultrasonic frequencies to increase its sharpness is actually fairly common in multiple science fiction genres; in particular such "vibroblades" are frequently utilized in the Star Wars universe.
- Stery ACR Rifle Styer site with images of the firearm. Designed in 1987; only seven years before Evangelion was created. Apparently, the rifle uses flechette ammunition, which is basically steel darts instead of bullets.
- Accuracy International Website. The AW series was introduced in 1991, only four years before Evangelion was made. Since the rifles are sold as customisable kits, there are no standardised images of them on the company site; but profiles of several rifles can be seen here.
- ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 全記録全集ビジュアルストーリー版設定 資料版 p.252
- ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版破 全記録全集 設定 資料版 p.057
- ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 全記録全集ビジュアルストーリー版設定 資料版 p.253
- Explanation of Evangelion
- ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 全記録全集ビジュアルストーリー版設定 資料版 p.253
- Explanation of Evangelion
- ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 全記録全集ビジュアルストーリー版設定 資料版 p.256
- ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版破 全記録全集 設定 資料版 p.055
- See Ikuto Yamashita's concept drawings in Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection, along with the evolution of pertinent cuts as shown in the Rebuild of Evangelion 2.02 featurette.
- ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 全記録全集ビジュアルストーリー版設定 資料版 p.260