- "Unit-08" redirects here. For the Mass Production Unit-08, see Mass Production Evangelion#Specific Eva Units.
- This article has a collection of images to further represent its content. To see its gallery, visit Evangelion Unit-08/Unit-08β/Gallery.
Evangelion Production Model Custom Type-08β (汎用ヒト型決戦兵器 人造人間エヴァンゲリオン 正規実用型（ヴィレカスタム） 8号機β, "Hanyō Hitogata Kessen Heiki Jinzō Ningen Evangerion Seiki Jitsuyōgata (Vire Kasutamu) Hachigōki Bēta", lit. "General-Purpose Humanoid Battle Weapon Android Evangelion Utility Model (WILLE Custom) Unit Eight Beta") is an Evangelion customized unit introduced in the Rebuild of Evangelion tetralogy.
It first appears in Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, the unit is piloted by Mari Makinami Illustrious and is part of the WILLE organization, alongside the repaired Evangelion Unit-02', in their fight against NERV.
Profile[edit | edit source]
Evangelion Production Model Custom Type-08β (汎用ヒト型決戦兵器 人造人間エヴァンゲリオン 正規実用型（ヴィレカスタム） 8号機β, "Hanyō Hitogata Kessen Heiki Jinzō Ningen Evangerion Seiki Jitsuyōgata (Vire Kasutamu) Hachigōki Bēta", lit. "General-Purpose Humanoid Battle Weapon Android Evangelion Utility Model (WILLE Custom) Unit Eight Beta") is not shaped like a typical production model. It is bulkier in hips, shoulders, and most notably in the torso. The plating on the chest, abdomen, and legs is far bulkier as well, and does not match the thin, sleek plating seen on the earlier Evangelion units. Unlike Unit-08α, it also has large, pink guards around its forearms and wrists which add significantly to the bulk of the arms. Its coloring is similar, the most notable difference being that the pink portions of the shoulder pylons on Unit-08α are now white, as well as the arm colors being switched to a different order. Its head is identical to that of Unit-08α, and the remaining body (sans the arms) largely resembles the design of Unit-02'γ, using essentially the same model.
In Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time, it was later customized as Evangelion Production Model Custom Type-08 β-ICC (汎用ヒト型決戦兵器 人造人間エヴァンゲリオン 正規実用型（ヴィレカスタム）8号機β 臨時戦闘形態), (ICC standing for Improvised Combat Configuration) which grants the damaged Unit-08β two rotating machine guns around its bandaged chest while being linked with the controls in the AAA Wunder as it fights against the Evangelions sent by NERV (Rebuild). The differences in design are compared to the earlier customization are the coloring of the knee guards, now sporting a black strip dividing it between the pink color and the black. The feet is altered too, now using metallic parts around the feet unlike the earlier customization which had black armor.
Features[edit | edit source]
It is seen to be compatible with support weapons like the pistol or the sniper rifle. It also uses a portable battery system like Unit-02'y apart from the umbilical cable. It was seen when Mari explains why Asuka should give up wasting ammo on the Twelfth Angel.
In Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time, the damaged Unit-08β has its torso covered in white bandages. Unit-08β is now equipped with a yellow additional structure, which encircles the chest of the unit in a rail system and a shave connected to AAA Wunder allowing it to glide with the assistance of the Wunder. The structure consists of two long machine guns mounted on each of its yellow "arms" which are used to destroy the multiple Mark.44A's. The new configuration is assigned as Unit-08 β-ICC (Improvised Combat Configuration) (汎用ヒト型決戦兵器 人造人間エヴァンゲリオン 正規実用型（ヴィレカスタム）8号機β 臨時戦闘形態).
History[edit | edit source]
Later on, a customized Evangelion Unit-08β is deployed during Evangelion Mark.09's raid on the AAA Wunder in an attempt to bring Shinji to WILLE. Unit-08β attempts to stop it, equipped with a handgun, and succeeds in destroying Mark.09's head, but fails to prevent it from carrying out its mission successfully.
It is deployed once again as support fire for Unit-02'γ inside Central Dogma, engaging Evangelion Mark.09 again, as well as the recently activated Evangelion 13. Unit-08β fails to destroy Mark.09 and Evangelion 13 with the Anti-AT Field ammunition shows ineffective to the later. Following Evangelion 13's pseudo-evolution and Kaworu's subsequent sacrifice to stop Fourth Impact, Evangelion Unit-08β helps to eject Shinji's Entry Plug from the unresponsive Evangelion 13 before falling to the landscape below, partially turning the arms of Unit-08β into Core in the process.
The Evangelion is last seen being carried away by WILLE's fleet alongside the critically damaged remains of Unit-02'γ.
Development[edit | edit source]
- In a design revealed by Ikuto Yamashita, the design dated to 2017, the design was shown to be a structure similar to the rail system, but with a more humanoid arm instead of claws and the other arm would be holding a gun. The great difference is the concept of a captured Evangelion Mark.04 by WILLE, that would be used as a carrier to things by being tied by cords.
- In a design revealed by Ikuto Yamashita, the design dated to 2017, the arms have two concepts similar to being bound to the wheel around the torso. One is a similar Evangelion arm and the other is a cybernetic implant of arms similar to the ones of Fourth Angel with some modifications that would appear in the final design like cylinders around the shoulders.
- In another design revealed by Ikuto Yamashita, the design dated to 2018 had a different set of weapons and a system developed to store the ammunition, there is also the different structure in the right claw. There was also a different booster attached to the rear that is absent from further designs. According to Yamashita, the design was changed since it would be difficult to reproduce it in 3DCGI.
- Different designs of Evangelion Unit-08β ICC were designed. In the earlier trailer, the version had different color arms, being the same as the rest of the arms, instead of red. The structure that fixes it around the torso was also changed, being bulkier in the later revisions of the design.