- This article has a collection of images to further represent its content. To see its gallery, visit Evangelion Mark.44B/Gallery.
The Evangelion Mark.44B (エヴァンゲリオン マーク44B) is an autonomous mass-produced Evangelion unit introduced in Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time. These units are used by the Evangelion Mark.4444C as power suppliers.
The Mark.44B consists of two standard Evangelion bodies linked together by a system that allows generating, storing and transfer of energy. It is written in the system part 44B PROJEKT EVANGELION and the NERV logo down under in the central system. There are four connected cables out of six sloths from the Evangelion main body to the system. In the dome above the main body, 12 holes on each side are apparent, with a red and white diagonal line circling it. The unit bears a dirty-green and red color scheme with spring green highlights.
The purpose of these units are to serve as power generators for the Mark.4444C's positron cannon. Since they are never seen alone, it is unsure if they have any combat ability or onboard weapons. That said, these units possess no arms and so it is unlikely they have any combat power as standalone units.
The Evangelion Mark.44B first appearance was during the Paris Assault Mission. Initially, the army of Mark.44B's and single Mark.4444C were hidden behind a Camouflage Cocoon. When the wave of Evangelion Mark.44A's were destroyed, the army dropped the Camouflage Cocoon revealing themselves. Mark.44B generates power and routes it to the ultra-high voltage system under the Mark.4444C. When supplying energy, a orange piece on the top of Mark.44B initially connects the energy to other Mark.44B, then transmits to the Mark.4444C allowing the positron cannon to shoot. After deflecting the first shot from the Mark.4444C using the ships fitted with the Enchanted Shields of Virtue. Immediately after the first transfer of energy, the lower part of Mark.44B, starts generating power, shaking the whole Evangelion as the process. Midori states that it is storing energy in the high power emission system. Before it was able to transfer power again, Unit-08γ was able to use the upper part of the Eiffel Tower to damage the positron cannon before it could shoot again, knocking the Mark.4444C and with its tentacles, overthrowing the rest of Mark.44B's. They were destroyed, engulfed by the explosion of Mark.4444C.
It would show up later in the movie, where Evangelion 13 uses the spear to eliminate all Evangelions.
- In a 2009 early design by Ikuto Yamashita, a design named Unit-7, the design is more similar to the final design.
- In a 2017 early design by Ikuto Yamashita, shows Mark.44B as Mark.4, having a different design idea, using the dome idea above the torso using it to transfer energy. It also was inspired by the synchronization of ballerina dancers in the movement and posture.
- The final design was basically a fusion of the 2009 body and the lower part of the generator of the 2017 design, and a new transmitter design on the top of it.
- The name of the unit, Evangelion Mark.44B, may suggest that the '4' refers to one "Evangelion body". Since the unit consists of two "Evangelion bodies" (two standard Evangelion bodies), the name "Evangelion Mark.44B" is assigned.